MAYSEL, W.Va. (WCHS By: Anna Taylor) — Four people were injured after a house fire Friday morning in Clay County, WCHS reports.
The fire broke out about 5:40 a.m. in the 100 block of Maysel Laurel Ridge Road. Clay Volunteer Fire Department Chief Michael Scott said a family of nine lived in the home.
Scott said two children had smoke inhalation and two adults suffered burns. All four were transported to a nearby hospital. Everyone escaped the burning home.
Scott said he believes a space heater initiated the fire after something fell on or leaned against it.
A child woke up and smelled smoke, then alerted the rest of the family.
There were no fire alarms inside the home, Scott said.