Advertisement

Couple Loses Everything to House Fire

543

UPDATE 6/20/19: Resident Thelmavia Harris says the blaze started with an electrical fire, not a kitchen fire as firefighters first suspected.

McDOWELL COUNTY, W.Va. (WOAY) – A structure fire on Tuesday evening destroyed everything a Northfork area couple possessed.

“It was a two-story frame home [with a] large porch,” said Northfork Fire Department president Gary Dove. “[When we arrived, fire was] coming out of every window and fire was shooting through the roof already.”

Initially, Northfork, Keystone and Kimball fire departments responded to the scene. The flames threatened  two other homes and a church. As the fire progressed, Anawalt, Welch and Bramwell fire departments joined efforts to put out the blaze.

The two people living in the home made it out safely, but lost everything inside. Neighbors say they hope to help their friends through the ordeal. One has already set up a Go Fund Me page with a goal of $5,000 to get the couple started.

Watch the video for more details.



Kassie Simmons

Kassie Simmons joined the team in January 2019 as a weekend journalist. She graduated from Virginia Tech in just two and a half years with a BA in multimedia journalism. During her short time at Virginia Tech, she served as the editor for the university’s chapter of The Tab. Kassie was named the top reporter for The Tab at Virginia Tech on multiple occasions and made the list for the top 30 reporters for The Tab in the U.S. She also studied theater performance and minored in creative writing. Before coming to WOAY, Kassie interned at WSLS in Roanoke and the Tidewater Review in her hometown of West Point, Va. She has loved following breaking news since her childhood and has a passion for delivering the stories people care most about. Kassie is excited to be working in Southern West Virginia and looks forward to all the adventures ahead of her. You can follow her on Twitter at @KassieLSimmons and like her page on Facebook. If you have a story you think she should check out, send her an email at ksimmons@woay.com.


X