Advertisement

Carbon Monoxide Leak Closes New River CTC Greenbrier Campus

391

LEWISBURG, WV (WOAY) – Students and staff at New River CTC Greenbrier Valley Campus had to be evacuated shortly after noon on Wednesday after carbon monoxide began to leak from a boiler in a mechanic room.

Lewisburg Fire Chief, Joseph Thomas, says that initially a gas leak was reported but upon arriving on scene it ended up not being a gas leak but instead a carbon monoxide issue. Thomas says large amounts of carbon monoxide were leaking into the building. The unit has been turned off and proper ventilation has been set up to get it out of the building. He said levels of carbon monoxide are decreasing and will be monitored throughout the rest of today.

Several people were treated on the scene after feeling light headed and dizzy, but no one went to the hospital.

Emergency officials will check all areas on Thursday morning to make sure it is safe.

New River Community and Technical College in Lewisburg will be closed for the remainder of the day and night.



Tyler Barker

Tyler is the Chief Meteorologist & Digital Content Manager for WOAY-TV. You can find him weekdays at 5, 6, and 11 pm on WOAY-TV. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter @wxtylerb. Have any news tips or weather questions? Email me at tbarker@woay.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *